Australia PR Points Table for 189, 190 and 491 Skilled Migration Visas

australia pr points table image thumbnail

The Australian PR Points Table shows all the criteria you must meet when applying for a general skilled migration visa, such as 189, 190 and 491 visas. 

Use the PR points table below to determine your EOI points and strategise your application to have competitive advantage against other applicants.

491, 190 and 189 Visa Points Table

The 189 points table below also applies to the 491 and 190 skilled migration visas. For certain criteria, additional notes are provided below the table for further information.

Age18-24 years25
25-32 years30
33-39 years25
40-44 years15
45 years and higher0
English SkillsCompetent EnglishPassport from UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, or Ireland; orIELTS: 6 or above for each component; orOET: at least ‘B’ for each component; orCambridge (CAE): 169 or above for each component; orTOEFL iBT: 12 in Listening, 13 in Reading, 21 Writing, 18 in Speaking; orPTE Academic: 50 or above for each component0
Proficient EnglishIELTS: 7 or above for each component; orOET: at least ‘B’ for each component; orCambridge (CAE): 185 or above for each component; orTOEFL iBT: 24 in Listening, 24 in Reading, 27 Writing, 23 Speaking; orPTE Academic: 65 or above for each component10
Superior EnglishIELTS: 8 or above for each component; orOET: at least ‘A’ for each component; orCambridge (CAE): 200 or above for each component; orTOEFL iBT: 28 in Listening, 29 in Reading, 30 in Writing, 26 in Speaking; orPTE Academic: 79 or above for each component20
Overseas Work1 8 years or more15
5 to 7 years10
3 to 4 years5
Less than 3 years0
Australian Work Experience18 years or more20
5 to 7 years15
3 to 4 years10
1 to 2 years5
Less than 3 years0
QualificationsRecognised PhD (Doctorate)20
Recognised Bachelor degree or higher15
Trade Qualification (Diploma or Trade Certificate completed at an Australian educational institution)10
Other award or qualification recognised by the skills assessing authority10
No qualification0
Australian Study RequirementHave completed a degree, diploma, advanced diploma or trade qualification(s) after at least 2 years of full-time studies in Australia5
Specialist Education Qualification2Have obtained a Masters degree by research or a Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution that included at least 2 academic years in a relevant field10
Regional Area StudyHave at least 1 degree, diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution that satisfies the Australian study requirement obtained while living and studying in an eligible area of regional Australia5
Professional Year3Completed a professional year in Australia5
Credentialled Community Language4Hold a recognised qualification in a credentialled community language5
Partner SkillsYou’re single or have a partner who’s an Australian citizen or permanent resident10
Your partner is applying for the same visa, has positive skills assessment, is under 45 and has competent English 10
Your partner is applying for the same visa and has competent English 5
Your partner cannot get competent English and doesn’t have a positive skills assessment0
Nomination or SponsorshipYou were invited to apply for a Subclass 491 visa and the nominating State or Territory government agency has not withdrawn that nomination15
You’re being sponsored for a Subclass 491 visa by a family member and the Minister has accepted that sponsorship15
You were invited to apply for a Subclass 190 visa and the nominating State or Territory government agency has not withdrawn the nomination.5


1: You can score only up to 20 points for work experience (overseas and in Australian work experience combined). Your work must be in your nominated occupation or a closely related occupation, with at least 20 hours of paid work per week.

2: Your degree must be in one of the following fields: Natural and physical sciences, information technology, engineering, or related technologies

3: Your professional year must:

  • have been in Accounting, ICT/computing, or Engineering
  • in your nominated occupation or a closely related occupation
  • completed over a period of at least 12 months
  • completed in Australia in the four years before you are invited to apply for a visa
  • provided by one of these organisations:
    • the Australian Computer Society
    • CPA Australia
    • Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
    • the Institute of Public Accountants (formerly the National Institute of Accountants)
    • Engineers Australia

4 – You hold any one of the following:

  • Accreditation at the paraprofessional level or above
  • Certification at the certified provisional level or above
  • A community language credential for interpreting or translating by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters

How do I calculate my PR points in Australia?

Use this free PR Points Calculator to know your current PR score.

What occupations are eligible for PR work visas?

All occupations listed in the Australian skilled occupation list qualify for PR work visas.

Pursuing an occupation on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) can give you an advantage, as they generally offer more pathways to permanent residency.

However, many occupations on the Short-Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) and Regional Occupation List (ROL) allow for skilled work in regional Australia, offering another pathway to PR.

What is the minimum score to get invited?

You need at least 65 points to get invited. 

However, note that this does not automatically guarantee an invitation. The Australian Government considers many factors when assessing PR applications, and ultimately, it’s at their discretion to send out invitations.

You can also check the latest invitation rounds to find out the minimum scores of applicants in your specific occupation. This should help you understand and gauge the competition in your field.

Can I get a PR work visa without the points test?

It is possible to get a PR work visa without the points test by applying for an employer sponsored visa instead. This includes the 186 visa and the Temporary Skills Shortage 482 visa.

For these visas, an eligible Australian employer is required to sponsor you.

What are other ways to get a PR in Australia?

There are three primary ways to become a permanent resident in Australia:

  • Work stream PR visas

This includes all general skilled migration visas (189, 190, 491), as well as employer sponsored visas.

You may begin this pathway by studying in Australia and completing an eligible qualification that will support your PR work visa application later on.

  • Family stream PR visas

This includes spouse visas and child visas, which require sponsorship from an eligible family member in Australia.

  • Business stream PR visas

This applies to those who have the funds to make significant business investments in Australia.

Unless you qualify for either the family stream or business stream PR visa, pursuing work-stream visas gives you the best chances of getting your PR.

Improve Your Points Test Success

With great competition in skilled migration, our agents at KBA Global are committed to providing practical advice to boost your points test score.

Beyond the points test, we’ll guide you through how you can meet other eligibility criteria and handle all your paperwork—like what we’ve done for the many successful applicants who now live their Australian PR dream!

Book a free consultation today and speak directly with our friendly agents!

Disclaimer: The above information is a general guide and not professional immigration advice. Be aware that immigration laws and regulations can change swiftly, potentially rendering some or all of the information outdated. It is recommended to check the details on the Department of Home Affairs Website or seek assistance from a registered migration agent.