If you are living in Australia, are a Australian citizen or permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen you can bring your parents to Australia for recreational purposes or for permanent residence.

Visitor Visa - Sponsored Family Visa Stream

This visa stream lets people who are sponsored, usually by a family member, come to Australia to visit their family members. You must be outside Australia at the time of the visa application and when DOHA decides on your application. Generally, this visa is granted with only one entry permitted. This means that after you leave Australia you need to apply for another visa before you can return.

Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 870)

The purpose of this temporary visa is to allow parents of a settled Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen stay with their family in Australia for up to 3 or 5 years. The applicant must have an approved parent sponsor to apply for this visa. It provides an alternative option to Visitor visas which only allow shorter periods of stay.

Aged Dependent Relative Visas

The purpose of an aged dependent relative visa is to allow a single older person - who relies on a relative living in Australia for financial support - to move to Australia permanently. The applicant must be sponsored by their relative or relative’s partner. An assurance of support is required from the sponsors to apply for this visa. Once the visa is granted, you can stay in Australia permanently.

Remaining Relative Visas

The purpose of this remaining relative visa is to allow those whose all near relatives have settled in Australia and they are the only person left in their home country. The relative must be sponsored by an eligible parent or step-parent, sibling or step-sibling, or an eligible partner of your relative. An assurance of support is required from the sponsors to apply for this visa

To learn more

KBA Global Education, Migration and Visa Services